[GRASS-windows] Cygwin doesn´t starts

Baptiste Laville felache at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:46:09 EST 2009

Dear Wingrass users,

May somebody helps me to resolve my problems with Cygwin.
I am working with windows XP. To be able to use r.in.aster (I must import an .hdf file) I can´t work no more with the native Wingrass installation. So I try to install the Wingrass with Cygwin.
I followed the instructions of the internet page  http://grass.itc.it/grass63/binary/mswindows/cygwin/:

For installation of Cygwin, see http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#_Cygwin_setup_package. The instructions given there can be used with slight modification.

Due to a recent change within the Cygwin installer program you must now start Cygwin's setup.exe from the command line as "setup.exe -X".
At step #3 use http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/cygwin/ (or a local mirror) instead of http://geni.ath.cx/grass.
In step #5 the version is 6.3.0-2 instead of 6.0.cvs-1, and there's no grass.bat script.

I downloaded the Cygwin program successfully.
But when I try to start it, it just pop up and desappears after less then 0.1 sec.
I tryed all my best and spend long long time dealing with it ...
But now I need your help...

Thanks really for your answers

With my best regards

Baptiste