[GRASS-windows] winGRASS 6.4.0RC2-2 now with wxpython (OSGeo4W installer)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Jan 24 13:58:27 EST 2009

Dear Luigi,

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Luigi Ponti <lponti at infinito.it> wrote:
> Dear Markus,
>
> On 24/01/2009 1.24, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to Jürgen E. Fischer from norbit/QGIS team the
>> GRASS version in the OSGeo4W installer was improved to
>> now start the new wxpython based graphical user interface [1].
>>
>> The new version in OSGeo4W is grass-6.4.0RC2-2.
>>
>> This is the first time that the new wxpython based GUI becomes
>> widely available.
>>
>> Download:
>>  http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/osgeo4w-setup.exe
>>
>> GRASS is in the "advanced" section.
>>
>> Please test and report.
>>
>> Markus
>>
>> [1] Screenshots:
>>  http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/gui.php#wxpython
>>

> Using XP sp3:
>
> 1) No problem with the OSGeo4W installer for a CygWin user like me: many
> thanks to packagers! It has lots of useful stuff in the same bundle and you
> can choose which one to download. I hadn't tried it before and it is really
> luxury for Windows users.

Excellent.
Once we got more testing, GRAS may be moved to "Express" installation
like QGIS and things will be done with almost one click. Forthcoming...

> 2) Maybe the tcltk and/or python installation(s) should be selected by
> default when one chooses to install grass.

This should be the case since last midnight :) at what time did
you install? No, perhaps we need a selector or something like
this (unsure here how to do that).

In general, the idea is that GRASS picks its dependencies
automatically.

> 3) Tried out the wxpython gui and it started out no problem. However, there
> is no way to add a map layer -- no maps to select. In the GRASS/DOS command
> prompt, I noticed the infamous message "g.mlist is not recognised as an
> internal or external command, an executable program or a batch file", then I
> looked into the grass-6.4.0RC2\bin folder to find out that there is no
> executable called g.mlist.exe -- only g.list.exe. I recall g.mlist being a
> script in 6.3 but here there is neither a g.mlist.bat script in the bin
> folder nor a g.mlist bash script in the scripts folder.

OK, we have to investigate. It was reported to
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/37
perhaps you can add what you found out about g.mlist?

> 4) I did not go much farther but: when you call a command (e.g. g.region)
> from the gui Cmd > input box with no argument, you get the usual module gui
> interface; but when you call the same command with a flag (e.g. -e) no
> output is printed to the Command output box.

Perhaps worth another ticket in the osgeo4w trac (always using your
osgeo-id to log in).

Thanks for the feedback. MartinL already stated to fix things,
we try to get done as much as possible for 6.4.0RC3.

Cheers
Markus