[GRASS-windows] Using an external hard drive as data source

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Mon May 24 01:54:38 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm using GRASS on two machines in different locations (one Win XP,
the other Ubuntu 10.04), so I would like to keep my grassdata folder
on an external drive. However, when I try to run grass in Ubuntu using
the external hard drive (NTFS file system), I get the following error
as soon as I've selected the new data location and the GUI starts to
load:
-----
Execution failed: 'g.region -u -g -p -c'

Details:
Error: MAPSET PERMANENT - permission denied
-----

To run GRASS, I use the command 'sudo grass -wx'.

GRASS works fine when I run it from the internal hard drive.

Is there a way to get GRASS to work from the external drive?

Thanks
Hanlie