[GRASS-windows] How to increase DEM Resolution - what is possible

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Nov 21 17:03:08 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 8:13 PM, MartinMAP <map at map-site.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> Im new in this forum and im new to GRASS.
> I have a problem and i need to know, if there is a way to solve it with
> Grass: I want to make a map from Aladaglar Mountainrange in Turkey for my
> bachelor degree. This mountains are up to 3750m high. So I need to build a
> high detailed elevationmodel. But the online digital elevation models I can
> get are the SRTM 90x90 models.
>
> I dont want to know exactly how, I just want to know IF it is possible to
> use that 90x90 images to build a DEM in a resolution of about, to say,
> 10x10? :)

Technically you can, with "r.resamp.inter" in GRASS:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.resamp.interp.html

Kepp in mind that since no extra information is coming in, the information
content will not increase unless you add other maps at higher resolution.

There are also the ASTER GDEM data available (30m) but partially
of poor quality - certainly worthwile to check out:

I made once some tests:
http://gfoss.blogspot.com/2009/08/aster-gdem-30m-quality-assessment.html

Cheers
Markus