[GRASS-windows] Can't run any modules with WinGRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Apr 16 13:58:30 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Mingyu Yang <mingyuyang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All:
>
> I am a quite novice with GRASS, with basic GIS experience in ArcView and
> Idrisi.
>
> Right now I need GRASS to generate a time cost based on r.walk. I download
> the WinGRASS 6.4 and install it in a  Win 7 operation system,  followed the
> tutorial/reference in the Wiki.
>
> The installation process is quite smooth. But after enter into the GUI, I
> can not run any modules. For example, after DEM data (in spearfish60) are
> properly loaded into a workplace, the layer can be display well, however
> when I click on the raster--->terrain analysis---->slope and aspect, it
> should prompt out a dialog window (as shown in most tutorials), but my GRASS
> shows nothing.
>
> In the command console, it shows error as:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:/GRASS/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 429, in
> OnMenuCmd
> cmd = self.GetMenuCmd(event)
>   File "C:/GRASS/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 414, in
> GetMenuCmd
> input =
> menuform.GUI().GetCommandInputMapParamKey(cmdlist[0])
>   File "C:\GRASS\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\menuform.py", line
> 2142, in GetCommandInputMapParamKey
> tree = etree.fromstring(getInterfaceDescription(cmd))
>   File "C:\GRASS\Python25\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py",
> line 963, in XML
> parser.feed(text)
>   File "C:\GRASS\Python25\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py",
> line 1245, in feed
> self._parser.Parse(data, 0)
> xml.parsers.expat
> .
> ExpatError
> :not well-formed (invalid token): line 48, column 4

This might be an encoding issue. Are you running GRASS in English
or in a different locale?

> Due to no experiences to Unix and Python, I was quite frustrated with this
> problem.
>
> So is there anyone in WinGRASS development team can provide me some
> indication and help me to fix this problem?
> I really appreciate your response.

Two ideas:
- run GRASS in English language
- a few things have been fixed since GRASS 6.4.0, recently 6.4.1 was published,
 could you try it?
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/binary/mswindows/native/WinGRASS-6.4.1-1-Setup.exe

Best
Markus