[GRASS-windows] Can't run any modules with WinGRASS

Mingyu Yang mingyuyang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 06:07:32 EDT 2011

Dear All:

I am a quite novice with GRASS, with basic GIS experience in ArcView and
Idrisi.

Right now I need GRASS to generate a time cost based on* r.walk*. I download
the WinGRASS 6.4 and install it in a  Win 7 operation system,  followed the
tutorial/reference in the Wiki.

The installation process is quite smooth. But after enter into the GUI, I
can not run any modules. For example, after DEM data (in spearfish60) are
properly loaded into a workplace, the layer can be display well, however
when I click on the raster--->terrain analysis---->slope and aspect, it
should prompt out a dialog window (as shown in most tutorials), but my GRASS
shows nothing.

In the command console, it shows error as:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/GRASS/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 429, in
OnMenuCmd
cmd = self.GetMenuCmd(event)
  File "C:/GRASS/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 414, in
GetMenuCmd
input =
menuform.GUI().GetCommandInputMapParamKey(cmdlist[0])
  File "C:\GRASS\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\menuform.py", line
2142, in GetCommandInputMapParamKey
tree = etree.fromstring(getInterfaceDescription(cmd))
  File "C:\GRASS\Python25\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py",
line 963, in XML
parser.feed(text)
  File "C:\GRASS\Python25\lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py",
line 1245, in feed
self._parser.Parse(data, 0)
xml.parsers.expat
.
ExpatError
:not well-formed (invalid token): line 48, column 4

Due to no experiences to Unix and Python, I was quite frustrated with this
problem.

So is there anyone in WinGRASS development team can provide me some
indication and help me to fix this problem?
I really appreciate your response.

Mingyu Yang