[GRASS-windows] Compiling WINGrass - MinGW problem

Johannes Radinger JRadinger at gmx.at
Mon Oct 31 06:15:17 EDT 2011

Hello,

sorry for my late response.
I tried to follow your suggestion and renamed the MinGW folder (which
was created some other time ago, I don't need it and should get rid of it)
Probably this folder is causing my problems.
After renaming the folder I tried to compile GRASS 7.0 (newest revision from today) in Mysys.
I get following error logs:

package.log:
Mon Oct 31 09:30:26 CEST 2011: STARTING remove old logs
Mon Oct 31 09:30:26 CEST 2011: FINISHED remove old logs AFTER 0s
Mon Oct 31 09:30:26 CEST 2011: STARTING configure
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

config.log:
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:749: checking host system type
configure:772: checking for gcc
configure:876: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:892: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
gcc.exe: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:

#line 887 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

This is a different error from the error before (I can reproduce the old erorr by renaming the MinGW folder to the original name). So it seems it is an error associated the older MinGW installation.

I found the environmental variable C:/MinGW/bin in the PATH. So I removed it and even restarted the computer but there is no difference - still the same problem.

To ensure that it isn't a problem with the GRASS source I also tried to compile GRASS 6.5 but I get the same error as in GRASS 7.0.

How should I proceed? What should I check? Is there any other thing like environmental variables which is pointing to my old MinGW?

best regards,

Johannes