[Ica-osgeo-labs] [Live-demo] GIS Summer School material - which license?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 15:45:49 PDT 2013

On 29/04/2013 6:11 PM, Lluís Vicens wrote:
> Dear Cameron, as Jeremy points out, all the documentation used as
> training material during the previous editions of the summer school
> [1][2][3], are freely available for download in the summer school
> website as well as from the ELOGeo[4] repository under a creative
> commons license. Using this material as a starting point for
> educational material related to OSGeo-Live sounds good. Do you think
> that a CC-By-SA is a proper license for this kind of material?

Lluís,
There was a debate on the OSGeo-Live email list discussing what
OSGeo-Live documentation should be licenced under.
CC-By was selected for Project Overviews, as it has been considered an
easier form for mashing up into other documentation.

CC-By-SA has been selected for Quickstarts. More effort is required to
develop Quickstarts, so contributors in general felt that extensions to
their Quickstarts  should be made freely available, (as mandated by the
CC-By-SA license).

For training material, I'd suggest authors should be encouraged to
contribute material under a CC-By-SA license. (They might want to dual
license under another license as well).

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager