[Ica-osgeo-labs] Picking a name for "OSGeo Research and Education Labs Network"

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 24 14:28:00 PDT 2013

Jeff, that is good suggestion. We need to setup a committee for issues like names, marketing etc. The committee can arrange voting for name issue from all participating labs and finalise this.

My humble opinion is that we need to give more time for ICA-OSGeo Labs network name as it only now it is gaining traction with more universities joining us and message getting across to wider audience. I hope with the website ready there should not be any confusion.  For rapid future growth the key is getting new communities embrace the idea and join us . It is also key to build partnerships with other geospatial communities like GSDI, UNGIS, AGILE etc. We should be proactively doing this. Infact, we need a committee for external collaborations to proactively build collaborations with more external geospatial communities building up on the ICA-OSGeo MoU principles.

We should not lose focus on the bigger picture on our aim of getting more educational institutes worldwide to establish Open Source Geospatial Labs as that is a key strategic aim which is very important for the future of OSGeo by providing educational resources and facilities for training new students and building up our future geospatial leaders.

Suchith