[Ica-osgeo-labs] Contact names and emails

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Thu Nov 14 08:11:43 PST 2013

On Nov 14, 2013, at 10:47 AM, Anne Ghisla wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 23:02:40 +0100
> Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1 November 2013 22:10, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Anne,
>>
>> Hi all,
>
> Hi Cameron, all,
>
>>> I suggest that it would be valuable to create a list of contacts
>>> following the same format as the OSGeo Advocate list.
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate
>>>
>>> Creating a second list would be easy to implement, as it just a
>>> list of usernames
> [...]
>>> The advantage is that each user can maintain 1 OSGeo profile, then
>>> add it to which ever OSGeo group they wish to associate with - be
>>> that education, advocacy, etc.
>>
>> I like the idea, please keep also the table because we are using it to
>> create the the geodata for the website.
>> Probably we could split labs (in table format) and contacts (as
>> Cameron suggestion)...
>
> I like the idea of a contact list like the Advocates one, but I don't
> like spreading information on two pages.
>
> I would then ask all contact members to create their profile page
> with contact information, then replace name and email in the table with
> the link to the profile page. I will take care of removing email column.

yes, that would be perfect - it will also ensure that all the labs have a representative registered in OSGeo Wiki
and we will get a better idea which labs in our list are active. It will also provide more info about the contact person.

> I can also create a dedicated "Edu Advocates" page with the same
> profiles.

please keep this as Research and Education, the research part is really important for many of the labs,
but yes, please create such page. This page would be extremely useful to provide
pool of faculty who could serve on student BS, MS, PhD committees or as advisors or opponents,
and to find collaborators with specific expertise when writing proposals.
I was also wondering whether it would be useful to have
OSGeo graduate student wiki where we could find potential PhD students and postodocs with experience
in open source GIS and where students could find collaborators, but I would leave this to the students
to selforganize this. Or they can be part of the Research and education wiki, but it will need to be watched
for regular updates when the students finish their studies.

Helena