[Ica-osgeo-labs] Labs membership criteria

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Oct 4 02:28:19 PDT 2014

Dear All,

As you might remember, following our AB meeting six months back, a task group (Helena, Charlie, Anne, Maria, Suchith) was setup (also with inputs from all AB) to look into the criteria for joining (and also continuing to be part of) the ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS labs network . This is important as we now have grown rapidly and we are now planning many strategic activities (for example plans on certification programs etc). So maintaining quality is important.  Lately we also have been getting applications from many private companies who are interested to join . Though the ICA-OSGeo MoU http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_ICA    we want to build synergies with academia, government organisations and industry our focus has been in education, so it is important we have a policy in place for the criteria.

One of the valid concerns from some universities is that if government organisations /private sector setup thier own labs there is less incentive for building collaboration  and building joint synergies.  But, if we can enable  staff in these government organisations and industry to be part of the existing labs as Advisory Board members (for example following the example of University of Colarado, Denver http://geospatial.ucdenver.edu/foss4g/advisory-board )and contribute to the future research directions of the labs and invest in key research themes that are of mutual interest, it will be good for all in the long term.

It is has been great to see amazing growth and  developments in our labs but there are a few labs that are inactive (other than their initial email expressing interest).   Around a month back Helena had send an email to the list to check on info on inactive labs.  If they have not responded that means they are not active and we will have to remove them.  We will also be reviewing all the labs listed and make necessary changes once the  criteria conditions are finalised (also we will keep for all new applications from private and government organisations on hold till then).

Once the Criteria is finalised and approved by the AB, we will apply it for future applications and keep you all updated. Thank you for all for your excellent work for expanding our initiative globally and we are looking forward to working with you all.

Best wishes,

Suchith

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.