[Ica-osgeo-labs] Open Letter: Our Need for Open LiDAR [oopsay]

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Sat Apr 18 13:53:07 PDT 2015

Oops, should have include the link,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR_Format_Letter

From: ica-osgeo-labs-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:ica-osgeo-labs-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX)
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 1:47 PM
To: ica-osgeo-labs at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [Ica-osgeo-labs] Open Letter: Our Need for Open LiDAR

Dear OSGeo,

Our most basic need, the ability to communicate via open data exchange, is as essential as the 'open' language we speak. That is except for Pig Latin, let's make ^that^ a proprietary language and find a way to control its use for personal gain. Atwhay oday ouya inkthay? Utbay adlysay itway ouldway aketay allway ethay unfay outway ofway itway. One Oink copyright coming right up.

The Open Letter on Open LiDAR is looking great! We are all to be congratulated!!! It is beautiful to see the community collectively stand up, not only for what is right, but also for what is good in advancing information access. Our ability to freely and openly exchange data is essential if we are to ever solve the city-to-planet-sized problems we face today.  Though it goes unsaid, by assuring open data, we are also encouraging our focus on innovation, where our energies and 'proprietaries' need to be, and that is in the realm of data analyses, not data exchange.

-Patrick Hogan