[Ica-osgeo-labs] BOF in Portland: Some Ideas of certification

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Jan 13 07:36:55 PST 2015

(I've mentioned this to Phil already.)

On my end, over the next 6 months I plan to work on a grant proposal to
support our GeoForAll\OSGeo efforts at the university-level that would look
to implement a "flipped classroom" model, where the MOOC content is used by
the students outside of class and the in-class experience is more project
and team-based. I'd like to include a webinar component of this as well.
I'm still looking for the right funding program but it would be great to
offer such a program in coordination with other institutions.

I also will be working with Maria Brovelli to hold a GeoForAll meeting
co-located at FISS4G EU in July, and hopefully we can devote some time to
the certification issue with many of us face-to-face.

Cheers,
Charlie Schweik

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Phillip Davis <pdavis at delmar.edu> wrote:

> I will speak with Bill Hodge, Executive Director of GISCI this week to see
> if they are interested in taking lead in assisting OSGeo in developing
> certifications along the lines proposed by Arnulf with his Metaspatial
> Institute.  One major barrier will be to make certain this is recognized as
> a global effort, not just US-based, if it is to have credence outside North
> America.
>
> Phillip Davis

Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545