[Ica-osgeo-labs] Ideas/Inputs for expanding "Geo for All" to School education and more collaborations with Industry, Government etc

Kurt Menke kurt at birdseyeviewgis.com
Wed Jul 8 12:51:22 PDT 2015

As one of the eight Government/Industry/NGO Partner labs this is an
interesting topic. As they say, "I wear a lot of hats", which often means I
don't fall neatly into categories. [1] I am a GIS consultant, [2] author of
an open source public health mapping blog
(http://communityhealthmaps.nlm.nih.gov/ ), [3] a co-author of Mastering
QGIS,  [4] a co-developer of the FOSS4G Academy, and [5] a part-time
instructor at several universities and colleges. Wearing the latter hat [5],
I've been teaching semester long FOSS4G courses for 7 years, and have
developed 4 semester long open source GIS courses. All of this material is
available and I've shared it with numerous teachers.  Aside from Del Mar
College, none of the schools I teach at have any other FOSS4G instructors
besides myself. In fact I've led the FOSS4G charge with these schools, and
have gotten the point where these are required courses.

So on one hand I am an educator, I have numerous associations with
institutions of higher education, and teach about 10 FOSS4G courses per
year. On the other hand I'm industry, I'm  a GIS consultant working with
dozens of clients. Some of that ends up being professional training.

I'm a hybrid :) So I'm not sure where someone like myself should be
categorized. I suppose that largely depends on the desired form of the
network of labs.

Cheers,

Kurt

Kurt Menke, GISP