[Ica-osgeo-labs] Defining criteria for REL membership

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 1 01:39:41 PDT 2015

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for this timely and informative email which is very important for planning the future. It will be good to include ideas from OSGeo Live experience to help us refine and evaluvate the criteria as we grow. We started on this education initiative with only very basic ideas and so we need to learn and adapt as we expand. In fact,  the initial target when we started ICA-OSGeo MoU was to work to help establish 5 labs in 5 years (even that we were laughed at!). But thanks to the amazing colleagues who joined and contributed thier efforts, we were able to build lot of momentum much beyond any of our expectations.

Yes,  the only current membership requirement is to acknowledge an intent to incorporate ICA-OSGeo MoU principles and follow the membership criteria,  but till now we did not have any means to follow up on the progress of each lab. This exercise to find the inactive ones is the first step to refine the membership process. We have now given enough time for the inactive ones to respond and the regional chairs will now remove the inactive ones from the list.

The membership to ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS labs is free and open to all universities/educational institutes BUT they do have the responsibility to follow and contribute to the "Geo for All" membership principles http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geoforall_criteria  as they are representing three great Geo organisations (ICA, OSGeo and ISPRS). So i think it is reasonable to ask for an yearly annual report from the responsible contact of each ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS lab with atleast the basic info that you suggested

** Details of Lab staff
** Details of your training courses/programs  based upon OSGeo Software
** Details of your training material is made available under an Open License
** Details of any publications
** Details of any funding awarding, student achievements etc
** Roughly how many staff/students in your university beniffited from OSGeo software this year
** Any more ideas

We want to make sure the reporting form is simple and easy to fill and the good news is through our open call for volunteers to help for our website, we have now got 5 excellent volunteers and once we finalize the criteria for annual reporting , we can get one of them to create this form for us. My suggestion is if this form input can also be in some way made to be published as a blog entry to our website, it will be excellent as then it will help others in the network to also get an idea of what each lab is doing and build collaboration opportunities. Also it helps with archiving the progress of each lab. Could i request your help in refining these criteria for us?

Also as we have some volunteers, we can now request them to help any of our labs (esp. in developing countries) who had did not have the resources to create thier own website etc to let us know and we can get some of them to help them.

So all ideas/inputs welcome.

Suchith