[Ica-osgeo-labs] Good overview reading on GIS open software and data standards?... and a GeoForAll webinar idea

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Jun 2 02:21:38 PDT 2015

Hi GeoForAll colleagues:

1) I've been looking for a good *overview* paper on open standards for data
and GIST software.
OGC has a paper by Khalsa and Percivall [1] listed that looks very useful.
Does anyone know of any others?

2) We are starting to design a Web-GIS course to be offered in Spring 2016.
One idea I have is that we hold some GeoForAll speaker webinars, but we try
to link them to courses some of the faculty in our network are teaching
concurrently. So, for example, we provide a overview reading (like the one
above), have students read it, and then have a webinar by a knowledgeable
speaker (or paper author, perhaps). We could record these talks for future
reference in courses.

Would there be others interested in this for Spring 2016?
Would there be someone in our network who might be willing to do this
around the topic of open geo standards?

Cheers,
Charlie Schweik

[1] GEOSCIENCE DEPENDS ON GEOSPATIAL INFORMATION STANDARDS Siri Jodha
Khalsa, University of Colorado, US George Percivall, Open Geospatial
Consortium (OGC), US.
http://www.grss-ieee.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/12.10.pdf