[Ica-osgeo-labs] Defining criteria for REL membership

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Jun 2 03:12:45 PDT 2015

+1

One of my favorite quotes by open source advocate Eric Raymond is below,
and relevant:

'...* the number of contributors (and, at second order, the success of)
projects is strongly and inversely correlated with the number of hoops each
project makes a contributing user go through.' *[1]

[1] http://timreview.ca/article/645

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Dimitris Kotzinos <kotzino at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I followed the exchange of e-mails on "advancing" the requirements for
> participating in the GeoForAll, beyond just checking for inactivity.
> I think that we should try to keep things simple; actually I think that
> one of the points of the unprecedented success and growth the network
> has seen, is based on the fact that things have been kept simple and not
> very demanding in terms of time. I think the important point is to keep
> people interested and involved. The many good people that already
> participate and are active guarantee the growth of the network. If
> someone is not very active in my view should be encouraged and helped
> (as Suchith suggested) and not be thrown out or e.g. in incubation. We
> have to consider also how valuable such participation is for
> universities from developing countries, both in terms of best practices
> and materials.
> For me the main benefit of participation, is ... participation itself in
> a global network with excellent people submitting proposals like the
> ones by Charlie or Maria and while as usual few people will drive the
> initiatives the more that participate the better it is.
> Needless to say that some simple reporting is more than welcome for
> understanding the bigger picture of the community but not to be used as
> a criterion to continue someone's participation. In practical terms we
> can always poke people from time to time to understand if they want to
> continue being part or not as Helena did now (thanks Helena).
>
> So let's try to hit the 100 members mark!
>
> Best regards to all,
> Dimitris

Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545