[Ica-osgeo-labs] Defining criteria for REL membership

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 05:10:23 PDT 2015

Dimitris and Charles,
You have a valid point, simple is good. Yes, "hoops to jump through"
hinders a project, but structure should be introduced if there is
substantial value gained from its introduction. Structure helps achieve
higher collaborative goals.  In the case of Open Source Software that
includes setting up a code repository, developer accounts, releases,
issue trackers, etc. Have a look at the OSGeo Incubation docs [1] if you
want to see more.

The REL community has successfully set up great collaborative
communication channels. This is valuable, but there is more that could
be achieved by introducing some structure and coordination. In
particular, I think some structure and processes would significantly
help to collaboratively create and maintain educational training material.

I suspect it would also help institutions bid for funds to be involved.

The processes should certainly be kept as simple as possible, but some
process is required to collaborate effectively.

So I ask, do educators want to try to achieve more collaboratively?
* Maybe create training material?
* Anything else?

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html