[Ica-osgeo-labs] FOSS4G-India 2015 summary

K S Rajan rajan at iiit.ac.in
Fri Jun 12 05:33:25 PDT 2015

Suchith,
Thanks for sending in the note on the Conference.

All,
I am just back to Hyderabad after successfully holding the FOSS4G-India 2015 at IIRS Dehradun [1] with the help of all the co-organisers. We had a very enthusiastic group of about 110+ participants covering researchers, academicians, students, software developers, companies, and Govt functionaries (National and State bodies).

There were 2 Workshops- one on Becoming QGIS Power User by Ujaval Gandhi; and the other on Geospatial Data Processing using R by Kamal Pandey and AK Jha. About 48 papers and 3 talks on - Use of OSM for Crisis Mapping; Use of Open Standards and Open Source in SDIs (and the National Roadmap); and on Geo for All initiative were presented. All the full papers, presentations and also Photos will be uploaded in a week's time onto the conference website [1].
The panel discussions towards the end had some wonderful ideas on building Synergy across various organizations by leveraging their strength, More focus on Capacity Building initiatives, Use and adoption of FOSS4G in GeoSpatial Curriculum, develop and implement focused solutions for Common users like Linemen (utilities management) to City Mayors, focused efforts on tweaking/improvisation/development of FOSS4G tools aimed at specific verticals like Social forestry, legacy data support, etc.

Would like to mention here that IIRS has developed a tool called Trivim- A free and open source Software for 3D Street Model Generation [2], [3] and it was showcased during the event. GPS enabled Photos captured from mobile phones and consumer grade cameras can be used to generate the Street view. Pls do try it out and share your comments with poonam at iirs dot gov dot in. They will soon be choosing an appropriate OSLicence for this product.

-Rajan
OSGeo-India

[1] http://foss4gindia.in/
[2] https://shivareddyiirs.github.io/Trivim1.0_precompiled/