[Ica-osgeo-labs] Present-to-the-Future

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Mar 23 01:44:06 PDT 2015

"City Slicker" colleagues:

I made several updates to our wiki [1], trying to help with the roadmap and
particularly the "social dimension".

1) Under "Who's Here" I added the option of "participant categories" (there
might be others)
*(a) U - User/practitioner; (b) D-Developer; (c) R - Researcher/Scientist;
(d) E - Educator*.
*Please edit your entry and add your categories*. This is important for us
to understand each of our incentives for participation which can help us
maybe steer the ship better...  (see "Social dimension" under "CItySmart
Roadmap"

2) Under "*social dimension*" I added the ideas of
- "Transdisciplinarity" and a good citation -- which is what we are trying
to do and could be useful in grant proposals as a concept
- The idea of "urban sustainability and resilience" as what I think should
be a key interest area for us.

3) Perhaps most importantly, I added the sub-heading:
'*Key City Analytic Needs or Needs by our Community above'*.
The idea here is that we should try to build a list of key urban
science\city analytics areas our community want to focus on. Such as "crime
mapping/analytics" which Tom just raised. My idea is that we could list
topics of interest and then add people's names below those interests. This
would be especially useful if the city "practitioners" (for lack of a
better word) could add their most critical needs here.

I hope these edits are helpful.

Charlie

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) <
patrick.hogan at nasa.gov> wrote:

>  Dear OSGeo, especially you City Slickers,
>
>           (the Urban Science Analytics folks)
>

> The group of individuals listed here are some very special people,
>

> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics#Who.27s_Here.3F
>

> Thank you for your big heart and hard work! We are here to make a positive
> difference on a global scale. And as much as we may talk about this, we do
> more than talk. The world dearly needs what we are intent on delivering,
> that is the ability to see ourselves, better understand our circumstance
> and be in a stronger position to do wise things about it. We have some
> pretty ‘hairy’ planetary-scale issues that are increasing, without pause.
> We must to do something grand to facilitate solutions and increase value
> for life. This is also the title for my keynote at FOSS4G where I very
> much look forward to being together with many of you.
>

> We are consuming our resources at an entirely unsustainable rate. And if
> that isn’t bad enough, there is a pretty ugly piper-to-be-paid for the
> massive uncontrolled waste ‘poisoning’ our biosphere, from carbon to
> fertilizers. We are trashing our life support system, the only one we’ve
> got. Climate change and over-population are already leading to
> mass-migration, low-level conflict, all-out war, industrial slavery and a
> future where hope is getting harder to believe in.
>

> Let’s take a stand somewhere with *F*OSS4G, *R*DA, *O*SGeo and *G*eoForAll
> (FROG, one step for greenness, a great leap for life! Just kidding). Let’s
> agree to do something we all need. The world’s population is rapidly moving
> from rural to urban. This is non-intuitive given our increasing need for
> good food, especially as climate change makes subsistence farming and
> industrial scale agriculture a more difficult and very dicey prospect.
>

> We must invest in our present for a better future, and give a ‘present’ to
> the future! I am thinking a CitySmart virtual globe app with an API for the
> menu system. This way academia, entrepreneurs, government, NGOs,
> essentially everyone, could build functionalities, commercial or free, for
> a platform we are all advancing together. We spend a lot of time talking
> about getting data to behave, to be standardized and accessible. This
> CitySmart platform would be the forcing function to drive that.
>

> Every city needs many of the same tools/functionalities. A CitySmart app
> is a platform all of us can collectively build and share. If we did this,
> that event alone, the cities of the world working together and challenging
> each other to collective greatness, would be the brightest ray of hope for
> a viable future that has ever occurred. Our present for the future, a
> planet of people, working together to solve common problems and yet free to
> use that platform and suite of functionalities to solve any number of
> unique problems. No more re-inventing the GIS wheel, just a growing suite
> of functionalities, many of which we will share.

> [...]

Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545