[Ica-osgeo-labs] Documenting OGC standards and OGC standards training

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:36:37 PDT 2015

Hi Luis,
It is good to hear that OGC Standard Overviews from OSGeo-Live material
is being considered as a starting point for OGC Standard documentation.
Also good to hear that training modules are being developed. I assume
that these will be 2 different types of documentation, serving different
purposes?

Over the last few days I've been researching existing material
describing OGC standards, with the aim of helping define a template for
created documentation, and a process/pipeline for developing and
publishing material.

I've found that wikipedia has quite a bit of material which we could
draw upon. Eg, there are descriptions of most of the OGC standards [1].

Wikipedia also has an excellent collaborative development process,
including a translation pipeline.

Wikipedia has a concept of "Style Guidelines" which can be applied to
different categories. As yet, a "Style Guideline" has not been set for
OGC Standards, and as such, we could define one. (I can't find a decent
style guide for ISO standards, which might be worth discussing with ISO).

I'd suggest that:
* Wikipedia should be one of our target delivery formats for our "1 page
overview" documents.
* As such, we should adopt wikipedia writing conventions to make this
simpler.
* Other delivery locations should be OGC web pages, and OSGeo-Live
documentation pages.
* The OGC pages (and to a lesser extend OSGeoLive pages) need to be
considered as an authoritative source, and as such should have a trusted
OGC editorial review before publishing.

I'm open to Luis' suggestion of developing overview pages in git, but
suggest it might be better to develop in wikipedia as:

0. Define a Wikipedia "Style Guideline" for OGC Standards.

1. Collaboratively develop Overviews in Wikipedia
1.1 OGC provide Authoritative Review back into Wikipedia, then publish
to OGC pages as authoritative source. (This might involve copying across
into an OGC git repository)
1.2 OSGeo-Live copies these pages into OSGeo-Live docs

2. Translations coordinated through Wikipedia

I'll save my ideas about content of Overview docs for another email.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Map_Service
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Layout