[Ica-osgeo-labs] [Board] update on ICA relationship

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 5 06:50:12 PST 2015

That is excellent news Jeff. Please keep us updated on your discussions with Menno-Jan.

OSGeo's Geo4All initiative (initially called ICA-OSGeo labs) was started with the key aim to build up OSGeo's education aims and  it is one of the most successful initiatives that we have undertaken. OSGeo Board has made separate MoUs with both ICA[1] and ISPRS[2]  for expanding Geo4All  and  universities,SMEs, government organisations etc worldwide have trusted the MoUs that OSGeo provided and setup labs and joined the network , so it is important we provide strong continuity and focus.  MoUs have to be respected and the momentum created need to build upon with clear direction and focus.

Following lot of discussions among our members in our mail lists [3] etc and the meeting at Como[4]   ,the consensus was  that OSGeo Education and Curriculum Committee and GeoForAll are the same and it is now GeoForAll: OSGeo's Education and Curriculum Effort as reflected in our OSGeo website at http://www.osgeo.org/education  . This needs to be reflected in all communication to avoid unnecessary confusion.

Venka has also presented this outcomes at  FOSS4G Seoul  [5].

We will welcome and include all partners that  OSGeo Board have MOUs with for expanding this OSGeo' Geo4All education initiative and warmly welcome everyone who are following the principles.  That way the OSGeo Board will  be able to  keep  expanding the initiative and to make MoUs with other organisations etc as we are doing now (ICA, ISPRS) and also in future  (Jeff as the OSGeo President is leading new MoUs with other interested organisations and i am sure he will update the wider community at the right time) . We thank all colleagues who worked hard   to make sure this OSGeo initiative is a success from very humble beginnings .I am  aware  that some properitary GIS vendors and their supporters have been doing their best to undermine Geo4All initiative through various tactics seeing its widespread momentum but i am confident that we have a strong global community who will keep expanding the Geo4All initiative so that the mission "Making geospatial education and opportunities accessible to all"  is achieved.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_ICA
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_ISPRS