[Ica-osgeo-labs] [Board] [geoforall-ab] IMPORTANT - feedback and vote will be needed: geo4all relationship

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 27 05:57:26 PST 2015

Thanks Jody .I also strongly believe that OSGeo and FOSS4G represents Openness and welcome to everyone who follows the ideals.

We have been trying to welcome all initiatives who follow open principles in geoeducation (free and open source software, open data, open standards, open educational resources)  and that was why we decided to support NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge at FOSS4G Europe . We are very grateful for Maria and Patrick for all the efforts they put in to make this possible. It will be disappointing if in the  next edition of NASA World Wind Europa Challenge is not with us (i really hope Patrick and colleagues will consider having the Europa challenge at future FOSS4Gs) . I really hope we can be more welcoming.

We have been working hard to get colleagues in the MapStory Foundation   to work with our education efforts and that was exactly why we decided to invite them to do a student challenge [1] for FOSS4G Bonn Though not officially an OSGeo project, MapStory   is an openly licensed data commons,an Open Educational Resource, that is OGC compliant, built on open source geo http://www.GeoNode.org.<http://www.geonode.org./> It is intended explicitly for students to be able to organise and share what they know about the world spatially and temporally.This is exactly the kind of spatial learning platform we need for expanding geoeducation for schools.

Just because it is not an OSGeo project does not mean it should be not be used. The main principle we need to look into is Openness in GeoEducation .

In my humble opinion,we should support and make use of MapStory.org , as an alternative to proprietary ones like ArcGISOnline, so that students and teachers can make use of this for learning purposes[2] without being dependent on the mercy of any  proprietary vendors.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ica-osgeo-labs/2015-September/002207.html

[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ica-osgeo-labs/2015-July/001850.html