[Ica-osgeo-labs] OSGeo Student Awards for FOSS4G 2015, Seoul

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sun Sep 20 01:32:42 PDT 2015

On behalf of GeoforAll,  we are pleased to announce the winners of the OSGeo Student Awards for FOSS4G 2015, Seoul

1) OSGeo Best Oral Presentation Student Award
Title:Analysis of Spatial Density Utilizing the Big Data of Floating Population of Seoul City
Authors: Hailin Kim (Hankuk Academy of Foreign Studies, Republic of Korea)

2) OSGeo Best Poster Presentation Award
Title: Mobile Application of Open Source Stack to Geo-based Data Visualization on E-Government Web Framework
Authors: Kwangseob Kim (Hansung University), Hanseam Park, Kiwon Lee, Republic of Korea

3) FOSS4G Seoul Best Oral Presentation Student Award
Title: Landmark Based Path Planning And Linear Path Generation For Mobile Map Applications
Authors: Thejaka Mahaulpatha (Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology), Pasindu Chandrasekara,Dananjaya Thathsara, Irendra Koswatta, Nimalika Fernando, Sri Lanka

4) FOSS4G Seoul Best Poster Presentation Award
Title: Development of Opensource-based Photogrammetric UAV System Using Smart Camera
Authors: Jinwoo Park (Pukyong National University), Hohyun Jung, DongYoon Shin, Chuluong Cho,Republic of Korea

We congratulate all of them for their excellent work and contributions to FOSS4G and Open Principles. These student awards have been possible thanks to the support of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation, so we thank the OSGeo Board , community and the LOC for their strong support. Special thanks to Sanghee, Venka, Maria, Jeff and everyone in the G4A Team who made this possible.

Based on feedbacks received from the community , we have decided that the Student Award initiative at FOSS4G conferences  from now will be handled by the GeoforAll Team (by keeping in touch  with LOC) .  As this is new initiative, we are learning from experiences, feedbacks and will improve for the future events. We are also looking into ideas for making the student competition more wider ( to include students from various disciplines and different levels so students from high schools to university level can participate). The aim of the awards is to recognise the excellent contributions from students worldwide not only to FOSS4G but also acknowledge their contributions to open knowledge and being good global citizens by helping spread the benefits of education to all.

Venka also gave  an excellent Plenary presentation on Geo4All. The slides are available at http://www.slideshare.net/VenkateshRaghavan1/g4-a-newver2

We thank the whole Seoul Team for their hard work and efforts over many months for making a very successful FOSS4G global conference  http://2015.foss4g.org  in Asia.

Best wishes,

Suchith