[Ica-osgeo-labs] Showing interest in joining the Smart2 Project

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 20:40:55 PST 2016

Hi Cassiano,

Please also add your details and expertise to https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Opencitysmart   . It also helps us to build more research collaborations/.

Best wishes,

Suchith
________________________________
From: cassiano.feanor at gmail.com [cassiano.feanor at gmail.com] on behalf of Cassiano Ricardo Dalberto [cassianord at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2016 11:04 PM
To: ica-osgeo-labs-bounces at lists.osgeo.org; maria.brovelli at polimi.it
Subject: Showing interest in joining the Smart2 Project

Dear Prof. Maria Brovelli,

My name is Cassiano Ricardo Dalberto, and currently I am a doctorate student in economics in the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), Brazil.
I'm writing to show my interest in the SmartĀ² Project.  I'm beginning the 3rd year of my doctorate, so I'm considering the application for a sandwich.

Presently, I'm writing the project of my thesis, that aims to investigate the relationships between the growth dynamics in the Brazilian major cities and the changes in sectoral composition, trying to understand, for instance, how the growth in per capita income in a city is related to the deindustrialization and the rise of the service sector - financial services and those of high technology, especially -, and how these facts are related the agglomeration economies.

Also, I will try to measure the power of attraction of those cities, in terms of commuting (to work and/or study), using a network model that allows to identify a region surrounding a city, in what is called sometimes in the literature as "city-region". The aim is to identify how this "city-region" changed over time (between 1980 and 2010), and what are the possible explanations and implications of those changes, especially in terms of the rise of new technologies that once predicted the "death of distance", but instead seems to have increased the importance of geographical proximity and face-to-face interactions - thus renewing the role of big cities and its agglomeration economies.

I hope that this issue may be eligible and contribute to the project

Thanks in advance
Cassiano

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.