[OSGeodata] Project request

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 10 09:20:55 EDT 2006

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> This project comes together with four UMN MapServer MAP files 2 symbol
> files, 8 ttf files with 250 symbols. You need all of this to render the
> maps conforming to German jurisdiction. Conformancy is required because
> the output generated by the system is used for building application
> requests. And yes, every federal state in Germany has its own
> interpretation... To manage and develop all of this collaboratively SVN
> access has been requested.
>
> Now - where to put this?
>
> There is definitely an Open Source software project (GPL) involved but
> it is of type benevolent dictator. Because this project addresses only a
> tiny subset of the worlds population (Germans with an affinity to survey
> data) this is fine with me but it does not justify to create a separate
> OSGeo subdomain. On the other hand it is an exemplary example of
> combining Public Geodata with Open Source Software to give people at
> large better access to spatial data.
>
> It could be branched in Mapbender SVN but that does not make sense, same
> is true for MapServer. Maybe this would best fit into the Public Geodata
> SVN? Ideas, comments?

Arnulf,

My suggestion would be that the project could live in one of the existing
project repositories (perhaps MapBender would be the most logical) as long
as the project PSC is prepared to be responsible for it.  It would be up
to that PSC to approve committers, monitor code licensing requirements and
so forth.  The PSC could still designate one benevolent dictator to have
normal responsibility for the component but ultimately it would be up to the
PSC to keep an eye on it.  So the benevolent dictator would have to accept
some responsibility to the PSC.

I don't especially think it belongs in the geodata SVN, partly because that
would seem to be abusing the geodata project's "free pass" past incubation.
I think that software projects ought to be held to a fairly high standard
encompassed in the incubation process.

I think it might be desirable for the incubator to define a more specific
process for "subprojects".  Of course, the project in question could just
live outside the foundation.