Fwd: [Incubator] Project Incubation Mentor

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Fri Apr 21 18:05:47 EDT 2006

Hrmmm...  This email I mostly composed while out in california, but
never got around to sending, and I'm clearing out my drafts box.  Sorry
if any of it's outdated.  I read the IRC I missed, and thanks for
electing me 'mentor' for MapServer, it's certainly an honor, as it's
always been the type of project my communities have aspired to.

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Sean Gillies wrote:
>
>>> My perception is that the committee wants to fast track the initial
>>> projects. That's what I mean by mainstream. IMO, the process should
>>> be slower, more conservative, and have a real effect on the projects.
>

> Sean,
>
> It is certainly true that I'm hoping for relatively rapid progress
> through incubation and have been pushing.  But pushing back is OK
> if there are effects we are looking for in incubation and we aren't
> achieving them in the short term.
 From a geotools perspective, I agree with Jody that we're more excited
about almost a 'slower' process.  We don't feel our act is quite enough
together with really accessible docs for new users.  I don't think we
want to call _ourselves_ an 'osgeo project' until we can be happier
about a user's initial experience.

And I agree that all project should have a minimal set of requirements
to pass the 'new user' test, on at least windows and linux.  I think
Frank and I have been informally doing this to eachother for years, with
both of us failing.  I couldn't get MapServer to install, or rather, I
got it to install (with ms4w), and still wasn't sure what to _do_ to see
a map.  He got as far as installing but never did the appropriate
plug-ins for java that GeoServer needed.

Basically I feel we should have something like the '5 minute' rule for
applications, 5 minutes of install time and you'd better have something
to play with.

For toolkits it can be more like the 20 minute rule, the time it takes
for a new developer to get set up with the code and doing the most
common tasks they'd want to.

>>> Conservative to me means that only projects with a bright and shiny
>>> future should be released from the incubator.
>

> I think we can all agree that we don't want moribund projects in the
> foundation.  It reflects poorly on the foundation, and it distracts
> and confuses users who assume that foundation software must be good
> and well supported.
>
> What is less clear to me is how bright and shiny a project needs to
> be to be part of the foundation.  Obviously, we would like to attract
> the best projects because they offer the foundation the most reflected
> glory, and because the foundation is likely to accomplish the most with
> them.
>
> But I don't personally see a problem with having a foundation project
> that works well, is mature and well supported but perhaps lacks the
> growth and excitement of some other projects.  Even a project in
> gentile and benign decline wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing though
> I can't imagine being to excited about inviting such a project in
> unless it filled a particularly important role.
Yeah, I'm inclined to say that excluding a project just because it's
post-mature and isn't going to be doing anything new and exciting is a
bad idea.  As long as it's still easy to configure and install, isn't
falling hopeless out of date, then such projects likely add a whole lot
to the foundation.  They are the ones that drive traffic, and allow _us_
to point people to the new OSGeo projects that we want.

>  >> To be specific, I think
>
>>> MapServer's best days are behind it. I'm not talking code, here. I'm
>>> talking about developers and business. Much of MapServer's
>>> development is mercenary. We've usually seen this as a sign of vigor:
>>> people are
>>> making money as MapServer developers. On the other hand, mercenary
>>> developers can always be employed away to other projects. I expect to
>>> see Autodesk undermine MapServer like this. It's not evil, it's just
>>> business. Additionally, the MapServer Enterprise/Cheetah fiasco
>>> showed me how ready some businesses are to swap MapServer out for the
>>> next big thing. IMO, MapServer should demonstrate that its mojo is
>>> healthy and increasing before it's out of the incubator.
>

> Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with all the above, though it is an interesting
> opinion.
Yeah, I think it needs to show that it's healthy, but not necessarily
increasing.  Overall it has to show that it'd be an overall win for the
foundation to have it be a part.

>>> GDAL, on the other hand, clearly has a bright future. What I'd like
>>> to see there is a real indicator that the project is achieving its
>>> goal of transition from benevolent tyranny to community and meritocracy.
>

> I think it would be helpful for us to write up what it is we expect
> of projects in this regard.  I have written odds and ends into some
> of the incubator documents about having a PSC that is in control, and
> is functioning well, but we haven't been to clear in our goals for
> responsible governance.
>
> I feel that at a minimum there needs to be a PSC with at least 3
> members from different organizations.  I would like to know that these
> PSCs are open to outside input, and would be willing to add new
> qualified members as appropriate.  What I fear are closed cliques.
> I'm just not sure how to test this without trying to join. :-)
I think there are some decent ways to do this.  Like being able to find
in the docs how one achieves commit rights.  I recently realized we
didn't do this in GeoServer.  There has to be documented procedures for
you one can go from a patcher to a committeer to being on a PSC that can
make binding decisions based on majority.  Of course a project could
just write rules and not really follow them, but that's easier for us to
see, and just having them up goes a lont way.

> And I want to know that the PSC is really in control.  That is
> that things aren't just run by a dictator with the PSC as a facade
> that is disregarded at will.  Actually, I'd also like to see that
> the PSC is control of things in other regards as well!  That random
> committers aren't just doing all sorts of crazy stuff without regard
> to contribution guidelines and due process.
Yes.

> I'm not so sure what to make of "meritocracy".
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what you (and others!) think is
> desirable and ought to be required in terms of community.  In my
> efforts so far I have emphasized that that there ought to be a
> support forum / mailing list where questions are reasonably
> likely to be answered.  To me this is one of the most important
> manifestations of community.  That users speak to users about
> how to solve problems.
Definitely.  Active lists, ideally something like irc as well where
people can get quicker answers.

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project