[Incubator] GRASS (and) PSC

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 10:43:34 EDT 2006

On 4/26/06, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Hi Incubators,
> >
> > here a short update on the ever (?) ongoing PSC forming story of
> > GRASS:
> > - my email to a design discussion (display system):
> >    http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2006-April/022403.html
> > - here the only answer:
> >    http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2006-April/022429.html
> >  which points out the thinking of key developer(s). It seems to
> >  be difficult to even agree on the idea of a PSC.
> >
> > Maybe I should ask the new GRASS incubation mentors on how
> > to proceed here?
>
> Markus,
>
> Hopefully they will have some advice.  Though not a GRASS mentor, I have
> taken the liberty of replying on Glynn's questions with a bit of
> brow-beating thrown in for good measure.

Thanks, Frank. It's good to see a second opinion there, not always
my monologues... And you are a person with maximal reputation,
so I hope that people wake up :-)

> Note that mentors can't be expected to motivate a project to incubate.

Sure. I meant it in a sense of strategic advice from their experience.
Of course also all others are kindly invited to comment!

> But they should join project mailing lists and participate in discussions.  For
> this round of projects we are in the position that the mentors are pretty
> well as new to things as the project reps and members.  In the future we
> hope the mentors will be able to speak from a position of more experience
> with the "OSGeo Way".

Fine. I will take care to use sensible email subject titles for easy filtering
and recognition. Luckily there is lot's of traffic in the GRASS lists.

thanks
Markus