[Incubator] triple licensing, js file license references

Rich Steele Rich.Steele at autodesk.com
Thu Apr 27 01:21:51 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I think something like this from GRASS is pretty much the minimum
> you should do.
>
> * COPYRIGHT:    (C) 2001 by the GRASS Development Team
> *
> *               This program is free software under the GNU General
Public
> *   	    	License (>=v2). Read the file COPYING that comes with
GRASS
> *   	    	for details.
>
> Rich, do you have a suggestion for a proper copyright/license header?

I think something like what you suggest is fine.  There are many files
out there that have no header, but are distributed together with a
"LICENSE", "COPYING" or "COPYRIGHT" text file that sets forth the terms.
The more you can clarify the license without making it ridiculous, the
better IMO.

> I see that FDO (loosely part of MapGuide OS) uses the following
header:

> /*
> *
> * Copyright (C) 2004-2005  Autodesk, Inc.
> *
> * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> * modify it under the terms of version 2.1 of the GNU Lesser
> * General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation.
> *
> * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
> * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
> * Lesser General Public License for more details.
> *
> * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
> * License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
> * Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301
> USA
> *
> */
>
> I can see why this might be a bit wordy for a tiny javascript file.

This is the FSF's recommended text for code distributed under LGPL.  It
isn't strictly necessary.

-Rich