[Incubator] Queries on project roles

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Jul 2 11:08:00 EDT 2006

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I'm reviewing Mapbuilder Roles and Responsibilities at
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Contributers+Guide and I'm unclear
> what OSGeo roles are required.
>
> We currently have an Incubation Mentor as defined at
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Incubation_Mentor_Guidelines .  This is
> Steve Lime.
>
> Does this role finish after the project has completed incubation?
>
> I assume there is also a OSGeo Representative role?  Ie, a PSC member
> who reports to OSGeo.  Are the responsibilities for this role documented
> somewhere?

Cameron,

The PSC is expected to have an individual who will be the liason between
the project and OSGeo.  Normally this would be the PSC chair, though this
isn't necessarily mandated as far as I know.  This individual is/will be
an officer of OSGeo and so must be appointed by the board, though normally
the PSC itself would select and recommend someone to the board.

This individual is expected to ensure the project is run in an orderly
manner.  That is, ensuring that the decision process of the PSC is working
and being followed, and that OSGeo requirements (such as avoiding inappopriate
code contributions) are adhered to.

There is a bit of information on suggested OSGeo committee functioning at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Committee_Guidelines

However, this is mainly intended for non-project OSGeo committees so PSC's
have a fair amount of latitude to operate differently as long as their
process is documented and followed and adheres to the general principles
about openness and so forth.

It would be good to get such PSC procedural issues ironed out before
completing incubation.