[Incubator] proposal to graduate MapBender

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Mon Jul 3 12:22:34 EDT 2006

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I popped into the IRC and had a quick chat with Seven.
>
> Using a bug tracker slows developers down.  The bug tracker only becomes
> valuable when the project becomes too hard to manage in people's heads.
>
> Complexity is created as a consequence of:
> * code size
> * rate of development
> * number of developers
> * geographically distributed developers

Well, I'll also say that complexity is only half of the story.  The ease
of use of the bug tracker and it's ability to slot in to good workflows
can greatly enhance its uptake.  With GeoTools we never used our
sourceforge bug tracker, but when we got JIRA going on codeahaus the
tracker was suddenly a big win.  It'd notify you automatically of new
issues or updates, it was easy to search issues, had a nice interface,
ect.  I'm not saying JIRA is the way for MapBender, though it could
help.  We could apply for an osgeo license pretty easily.

> After chatting with Seven, it seems that the Mapbender team have not
> been forced into setting up a bug tracking system because 5 members of
> their team can all talk with each other.
Hrm, this is really, really bad actually.  Having people able to talk to
each other can kill an open source project.  It closes off transparency,
makes new people feel like outsiders.  And doesn't give an opportunity
for newbies to help out, by checking out open bugs.

 > It gives me the impression that we would impose a technical and
 > operational barrier to an otherwise perfectly well working informal
 > way of doing things.
If 'informal way of doing things' is talking in person, then I think
that technical and operational increase should be considered in the name
of open-ness.  Even if there aren't many bugs, since most of the bugs
are in the things being connected, a task tracker can still be super
useful for new features, so people can get a sense of what might come
next and when.  Check out our roadmap built on issues that are next:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

I'm actually -0 on mapbender graduation, as I think a clear plan for a
task tracker should be in place.  I'd almost go -1 if I had time to help
provide JIRA.

Also, a quote from Fogel on bug trackers:

'The importance of a bug tracking system lies not only in its usefulness
to developers, but in what it signifies for project observers. For many
people, an accessible bug database is one of the strongest signs that a
project should be taken seriously. Furthermore, the higher the number of
bugs in the database, the better the project looks. This might seem
counterintuitive, but remember that the number of bugs recorded really
depends on three things: the absolute number of bugs present in the
software, the number of users using the software, and the convenience
with which those users can register new bugs. Of these three factors,
the latter two are more significant than the first. Any software of
sufficient size and complexity has an essentially arbitrary number of
bugs waiting to be discovered. The real question is, how well will the
project do at recording and prioritizing those bugs? A project with a
large and well-maintained bug database (meaning bugs are responded to
promptly, duplicate bugs are unified, etc.) therefore makes a better
impression than a project with no bug database, or a nearly empty database.

Of course, if your project is just getting started, then the bug
database will contain very few bugs, and there's not much you can do
about that. But if the status page emphasizes the project's youth, and
if people looking at the bug database can see that most filings have
taken place recently, they can extrapolate from that that the project
still has a healthy rate of filings, and they will not be unduly alarmed
by the low absolute number of bugs recorded.'

Chris