[Incubator] Copyright held by non-legal entities

rich at richsteele.org rich at richsteele.org
Mon Jul 10 18:52:55 EDT 2006

Quoting Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:

> Rich,
>
> Currently most of the Geotools code has the copyright held by the
> "Geotools PMC", which has no legal existence as far as I know.  How
> much of a problem is this likely to be?

A non-entity can't hold copyright, so the copyright is still vested in
the individual creators of the code.  Did prior creators sign a
purported copyright assignment to the "Geotools PMC"?

> The Geotools folks seem to be willing to assign copyright currently held
> by the Geotools PMC to OSGeo.  If we wanted to make that occur, do you have
> any suggested approach?  Perhaps an assignment letter signed by all current
> members of the PMC, and as many previous members/contributors as can be
> easily contacted?

Are we talking about an actual assignment of the copyright to OSGeo,
or simply a license?  Either way, the PMC members and previous
members/contributors should sign a copyright assignment form or a
broad license agreement (ie., the contributor agreement)