[Incubator] New Mentor for MapGuide

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 17 21:45:46 EDT 2006

Mark Lucas wrote:
> I'd agree if they are completely separate, but if they are collaborating
> and use some of the same people there may be advantages to rolling it
> under an existing project.  This is essentially what we are doing with
> osgPlanet under OSSIM.  Probably 90% of our new development is going
> into osgPlanet driving some enhancements to the OSSIM baseline in the
> process.  Personally, I'd like to see more integration between various
> activities.  It will make it less of a tower of Babel when users/members
> come looking for solutions.

Mark / Cameron / Bob,

One distinction I think is that osgPlanet is essentially the same
developers as OSSIM.  osgPlanet can, to some degree, be consider an
example application on the OSSIM tool chain.

Whereas I believe the FDO and MapGuide development teams are
quite distinct though they obviously work reasonably closely.  For
instance FDO and MapGuide have distinct release cycles.  They are also
each quite substantial code bases.   A quick count shows 140KLOC
for the FDO core along for instance (not counting any of the
format providers).

My general feeling is that I wouldn't mind a joint MapGuide/FDO
PSC, but that I would see it as a transitional thing, and that
at some point they would likely be distinct projects.  But this
is a blurry line.

Best regards,