[Fwd: Re: EPSG "Use of the data" Requirements]

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 21 09:43:03 EDT 2006

Folks,

One of the licensing issues for GDAL/OGR and software packages built
on GDAL, PROJ.4 or libgeotiff was that we weren't distributing *complete*
versions of the EPSG coordinate systems.  Apparently this also affected
one of the GeoTools "from EPSG" coordinate systems factories but not another.

I contacted EPSG and they are planning to relax the requirement though a
released version with the relaxed constraints may not be available for a
while.  I'll document this in the GDAL provenance review, and hope that
this "rectification is under way" situation will be sufficient since it
makes it clear that OGP (the EPSG folks) won't be interested in any legal
action.