Functionality breakdown of OSGEO

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Wed Mar 15 09:27:02 EST 2006

Thanks Mr. Lucas - let me try my hand for geotools:

What needs more (any) work:
- user support
- marketing
- intro documentation (users guide)
- build: maven2
- release cycle (we are too slow, users end up on trunk w/ the developers)-
- interaction with propitiatory systems & formats
- standards compliance and interoperability (WFS1.1,GML3,CSW)

As for what works:
- confluence (wiki)
- jira (bug tracking)
- subversion (version control)
- build: maven 1
- standards compliance and interoperability (GML2, WMS, SLD, etc...)
- project documentation (developers guide)
- testing: automated builds, unit testing
- cross collaboration with other projects
- branch/merge rnd cycle
- IRC meetings

I suppose for geotools we are looking to OSGEO for helping on the
communication side, and less on the technical side.
Jody