OSGeo Holding Copyright

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 20 23:25:00 EST 2006

Rich,

Today you indicated that the MapGuide OS project won't be assigning the
code copyright to the foundation, is that right?  This was not my previous
understanding.  Is there any problem with some projects assigning some or
all of the copyright of their project to the foundation if they want?

My hope is to assign all the copyright held by me in GDAL to the foundation
and to gently encourage others holding copyright for parts of GDAL to assign
theirs.  As I see it, this makes it easier for the foundation to relicense
my code should it be necessary, even if I'm hit by a bus (or in my case, more
likely drop a tree on my head).  I'm also vaguely hopeful that some other
projects might do the same.  Perhaps UMN might assign it's copyright for
instance.  In the past I have assigned my copyright in MapServer code to the
university specifically because I wanted to reduce the number of copyright
holders and smooth out any future transitions.

Of course, I understand that some copyright holders (and projects) aren't
interested in this approach, and that is fine.  But I'm hoping it is not
precluded.