Motion: Recommend GeoNetwork for Incubation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 31 14:53:06 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Incubation Committee Members,
>
> I motion that the GeoNetwork project be recommended to the OSGeo board
> for entrance into incubation with Jeroen Ticheler as project representative
> and Jody Garnett as mentor.

Folks,

+1

I think metadata is an important part of the web services stack, and
GeoNetwork can play a big role in this.  I was quite impressed with the
project when I attended the GeoNetwork workshop at FOSS4G, and I have also
been impressed with the substantial user community around the project.  I
think that bodes well for the project being sustainable.

Before graduation from incubation I think the project should grow the
developer community beyond FAO and it's consultants.  I also think we
need to clarify whether InterMap is considered part of the GeoNetwork
project for governance purposes or not.