[Incubator] Transfering Code Copyright - restart

Jennifer Daehler Jennifer.Daehler at autodesk.com
Wed Sep 6 19:29:02 EDT 2006

Hi,

Hopefully this input will be helpful.

1.  Project (c) assignment to OSGeo.

My understanding (based on early conversations with Rich Steele and
based on the draft Contributor License Agreements proposed for OSGeo) is
that the original thinking was that the intellectual property rights to
the code for the various projects would be licensed to OSGeo by all
authors of the code, rather than assigned.  License and assignment are 2
different things and each model has pros and cons.  A number of open
source projects do require assignment, and a number (such as Apache)
follow the license model.  I would recommend reviewing the FAQs on the
wiki at  http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Contributor_Agreement to help
understand the distinction between the 2.  It appears that the draft
Contributor Agreements originally proposed by Rich have been removed
from the wiki -- can we put them back up for consideration?

Personally, I'm not certain I would have a strong preference for one
model over the other, as mentioned both have pros and cons.  However, I
often get the sense that contributors prefer a license model over
assignment because license model appears less intrusive -- OSGeo is not
"taking" anything away from the contributor.  Each contributor keeps
their rights in the code they contribute and they give OSGeo a broad
enough license (with some common sense restrictions) to enable OSGeo to
license the code out as part of the applicable open source project.

I would strongly suggest administratively that it would be easiest to
decide one model or the other and be consistent across projects.  In
this way, we aren't guessing which regime a given project is following.
That much said, there isn't a hard and fast rule that would dictate that
all projects have to follow one model.  If there was a good reason for a
project to be an exception, I suppose that would be OK.  But, again, I
would really recommend applying a consist approach across projects.  I
think your contributors would appreciate that too -- especially if they
contribute to more than one project.

In the case of GeoTools, you are correct that copyright can't be held by
a non-entity.  I presume any assignment to a non-entity would be deemed
void (though I'm not sure there's caselaw on this point).  Assignments
must be in writing and signed in order to be enforceable (and they
actually have to affirmatively say "[author] assigns") -- and so if
proper assignments were never done, then any presumed assignment would
be void.  So based on what you are describing below, I would assume that
the original authors would still own the intellectual property rights to
the code they wrote.  In order for OSGeo to license the code under a
project, OSGeo must have the right to grant these licenses.  OSGeo can
get these rights in 2 ways:  either the authors assign their rights to
OSGeo or the authors license their rights to OSGeo (using, for example,
the form of Contributor License that was formerly on the wiki).  Either
way, the authors have to sign something.

Given that there is some ambiguity around the identity of contributors
to GeoTools and whether we can reach them to put in place a license (or
assignment), then my recommendation is that we have to make a best
effort to identify and contact them.  We should make a good faith
attempt to identify any "mystery code" and we may need to evaluate
whether such code should be excised from the codebase.

2.  Documentation license.

I'm not sure that I understand the nature of the documentation and so
I'm not sure I understand the issue.  Can you elaborate?

Best regards,
Jennifer