[Incubator] Infrastructure Migration

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Sun Sep 24 13:46:40 EDT 2006

Hi Tyler (and Jo?):

I sent the document on to the geotools community, but do not see much to
interest them in terms of their current infrastructure short comings and
needs. I am partly at fault, as by not taking part in articulating the
requirements there is little to introduce the geotools community.
Currently we are focused on making sure any OGSEO volunteer time gets
put towards the incubation process.

I will let the email circulate for a day, here are some shortfalls that
may be met:
- maven repository (a highly structured download site suitable for abuse
by build tools)
- wiki w/ internationalization support (to host user guides etc...),
must be able to export to pdf
- the usual build and smoke test machine, with artifacts placed into
above maven repo

We are not against collaboration on infrastructure, apologies if our
silence has been taken for lack of interest. I always run into the
difficulty that there are other infrastructure projects out there
(codehaus, source forge, tigris) and I would rather focus OSGEO effort
on other problems. I admit that common branding is an attractive goal,
and that it does close the loop back into infrastructure.

Cheers,
Jody