[Incubator] Motion: Recommend gvSIG for Incubation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 12 19:34:17 EDT 2007

Jody Garnett wrote:
> That has been my experience; but it is understandable considering the
> project. Between the GPL license and project deadlines gvSig is known
> for rolling their own. This is more the reality of open source
> development and not a strike against the gvSIG project.
>
> You can often quickly code up something for a short term result; but to
> contribute back (and make the result suitable for a wider audience)
> takes time and may not be financially worthwhile. Personally I have done
> this myself more than once - as an example a custom branch of uDig
> created on a deadline contained an improved XML parser - that almost two
> years later will finally be returned to GeoTools.

Folks,

For the record, I'd found the gvSIG guys quite willing to contribute code
to GDAL.  I think they are interested in collaboration, but my understanding
is that they are obligated by either contractual requirements or corporate
policy to do so under the GPL to ensure maximum freedom (from at least one
perspective).