[Incubator] Re: [GRASS-PSC] Definition of a Project

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 13 10:08:34 EDT 2007

Hamish wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Note, legally registering a trademark can be somewhat onerous, but you
>> can just assert a trademark ( (tm) instead of (R) ) and that carries
>> quite a bit of weight from a legal point of view.  That is what we
>> decided to do for "OSGeo".
>>
>> If GRASS considers it important, we could look at (tm) issues, or even
>> possibly registering the GRASS trademark.  But I'd hesitate before
>> getting overly legalistic about this if there isn't really a
>> compelling problem.
>
> Would adding (tm) once somewhere low on the GRASS homepage and once in
> the 'g.version -c' copyright statement be prudent?

Hamish,

Yes, that would be helpful in a few strategic locations.  Also, on legal
advice, we wrote up "trademark guidelines" for the OSGeo name and published
those on the web site.

   http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/legal/trademark_guidelines.html

Something like this (or perhaps a bit simplier) would be prudent.