[Incubator] Re: [GRASS-PSC] (was: Definition of a Project) now: Trademarks

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Tue Mar 13 02:15:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 01:32 -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Note, legally registering a trademark can be somewhat onerous, but you
> can just assert a trademark ( (tm) instead of (R) ) and that carries quite
> a bit of weight from a legal point of view.  That is what we decided to
> do for "OSGeo".

Ah.  I figured someone had looked into it at an international level.
Great news, then.

> If GRASS considers it important, we could look at (tm) issues, or even
> possibly registering the GRASS trademark.  But I'd hesitate before getting
> overly legalistic about this if there isn't really a compelling problem.

Registration can be costly and time consuming.  If we can get away with
a simple (tm) assertion, it would definitely be the way to go.  Anything
more is a waste of resources.  But I do wonder what the difference is
between (tm) assertion and registration.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785