[Incubator] Wake up call

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu May 10 11:08:42 EDT 2007

Steve Lime wrote:
> Sounds like you are talking directly to the MapServer project since I don't think others
> that are moving slowly are using OSGeo stuff at all. Correct me if I am wrong. Our move
> to OSGeo resources in the last 3 weeks should be interpreted as a positive step in
> incubation. If you pull that plug there goes our major (only?) carrot for carrying on.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve (All),
please forgive my hasty arousal. I did not know that you already moved to OSGeo resources. Congratulations! My mail was not intended to spoil these activities but instead was supposed to trigger them.

Reading the MapServer status page there is no indication that it moved infrastructure, maybe you could consider to update it accordingly:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapServer_incubation_status#Infrastructure_Transition
It will also help your mentor to answer status questions by the board.

I checked Incubation status on other projects and most appear(!) to be stalled. Later I read the board meeting agenda and found news on GeoTools, another actively incubating project that does not reflect this on the status page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GeoTools_Project_Status

Right now I read that OSSIM has move SVN too, so we are well under way and my mail was even more less justified...

It does not work the other way round either. Graduated projects still appear as incubating on the Wiki status page (I only updated the Mapbender pages a few days ago, so this critique is also not intended to put off people but get them going).

Best regards,
Arnulf.