[Incubator] OpenLayers graduation time

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Oct 18 13:11:35 EDT 2007

Howard,

One of the requirements for graduation that have been applied to other
projects is that the PSC has to operate smoothly and in an open way
(regular meetings, active and open discussions/votes on public dev list,
etc.). If I'm not mistaken, the OpenLayers PSC used to work on a closed
list and just started having its discussions and votes in the open a
couple of weeks ago.

Can you please comment on that aspect of the PSC? I know that for FDO a
few committee members have told me that they'd like to see the PSC and
fdo-internal list run smoothly for a few more months before FDO can
aspire to graduate. Should the same requirement apply to OpenLayers or
do you feel that it already meets the requirement for some reason (and
if it does then please elaborate)?

Daniel

Howard Butler wrote:
> All,
>
> I would like to motion to graduate OpenLayers from incubation.
> OpenLayers has had the advantage of tailoring their governance,
> infrastructure, and licensing/provenance informed by the expectations of
> OSGeo incubation as the project has grown, and they have completed all
> required activities.
>
> The OpenLayers Incubation Status document is available at:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OpenLayers_Incubation_Status
>
> The OpenLayers Provenance Review is available at:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OpenLayers_Provenance_Review
>
> OpenLayers meets all of the items on the Project Graduation Checklist
> (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Project_Graduation_Checklist), it has a
> healthy developer and user community, a bus number greater than one
> (company, person, use case), and diverse project usage across all of the
> various programming language-specific camps within OSGeo.  I
> enthusiastically recommend OpenLayers for graduation.
>
> Howard

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/