[Incubator] GeoNetwork incubator status; time to graduate

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen at Ticheler.net
Thu Oct 18 16:48:29 EDT 2007

Thanks Frank.

On Oct 18, 2007, at 10:29 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Jeroen,
>
> Ideally your next step would be getting your project mentor (Jody) to
> review the status of the project and if satisfied to recommend it for
> graduation.

Yes, should have done that immediately :-)

> I skimmed the incubation status and provenance reports, and things
> seem
> ok.  I would like to have done a few provenance spot checks myself,
> but put that aside since your trac isn't (understandably) linked to
> svn.
>
> My real concern is the PSC/TSC/AdvisoryBoard/BenevolentLeader aspect.
>
> The PSC document:
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/geonetwork/wiki/PSC
>
> describes a fairly standard PSC with a fairly fine grained level of
> involvement (ie. When is Vote Required?).  But your description above
> describes your role as closer to "benevolent dictator" with an
> advisory
> board meeting annually and presumably able to remove you.  Also the
> role
> of Technical Steering Committee is (as far as I know) undocumented.

Yes, it is an aspect that evolves rather slowly in GeoNetwork.
Catalogs don't attract as many interested parties compared to pure
GIS/RS/mapping projects unfortunately. However, I see much
improvement and more and more involvement from others and am hopeful
that a transition from "benevolent dictator" to "full PSC" will
happen in the not to long run. At the same time, that seems something
that happens only slowly (due to what I just mentioned above :-) ).
I've several times tried to speed that process up, but it seems
everybody still feels OK with the current structure.

This been said, it could take a fair bit of time before the
transition actually takes place. I feel that hampers incubation and
will make things like the code review etc.. to be outdated again by
the time we get there. GeoNetwork will keep an incubation spot
occupied also. Not sure how relevant that is to the incubation
committee though.

> I *feel* that an open governance structure is a fairly key part of
> incubation and so I'd like to see governance for GeoNetwork become
> more settled and "in operation" for a while before I'd be completely
> comfortable with incubation graduation.
>
> I have no problem with a relatively hands off advisory committee and
> a distinct TSC.  I just think the documents need to describe this
> setup
> fairly clearly and it ought to be allowed to operate for a while
> (perhaps
> a couple months?) so as to become "institutionalized".
>
> Just my opinion of course...

Sure. I hope that already during the whole incubation period so far
the project has proven to be open to others influencing and
contributing to the project. However, I realize that's my biased
insiders opinion :-)

Thanks again, ciao,
Jeroen