[Incubator] GeoTools Mentor Needed

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Fri Sep 14 18:51:36 EDT 2007

Thanks for the assistance Frank, I also resigned being GeoTools
representative last year.

The reason I stepped down was due to lack of efficiency when we entered
discussions of (c). I felt like I was no longer the right person for the
job.

At the time we needed to step up a dialog with the OSGeo board - this
was hampered by constant waiting for legal feedback.

I think the delays are causing more damage than anything else (by the
time discussion starts up again we all forgot where we are). When we
first got a proposed contributors agreement nobody was on hand that
understood what was being put on the table etc ... it took for months
until I heard an explanation that made sense to me.

I would like to consider a change to tactics - concentrate on the end
goal of getting (c) sorted out. And then see how OSGeo can assist. Even
if the board can be decisive and say *we support exactly* the following
it would be a great help.

In joining with a foundation we are trying to find an ally that can
offer advice and take legal responsibility for our code base. So far
OSGeo and the incubation process is not working out,

Cheers,
Jody