[Incubator] OSGeo discussion about license

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Sat Sep 15 02:18:52 EDT 2007

I stand correct (and am changing the subject line to match) :-) Legal
council is a scare resource that should be rationed, and saved for when
we have agreement?

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> So, if Jody stepped aside as GeoTools rep over lack of legal support,
> then it was my fault.  My stepping aside is an effort to resolve the
> problem ... not an example of the same frustration over again.
I may of been in error here Frank, I was tired after the code review
(which is now out of date) and did not feel like I was being smart in a
legal sense. I like to make sure GeoTools has the best representation it
can find ... and for license issues that was certaintly not me.

Now this current conversation we are having about what is usual practice
goes a long way towards addressing the communication gap. Perhaps just
comparing notes with other projects (and getting a good idea for what
kinds of things are possible) is all the legal advice needed to get a
good idea on the table.

One of the ways I was failing as a representative was taking these
discussions back to the community. I think I may corner Chris with some
of the GeoTools PMC and he can chat about what he is doing for GeoServer.
> I hope this provides some clarification.
Ditto.