Correction on GNU GPL use (was: Re: [Incubator] GeoNetwork motioned for graduation)

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Apr 7 10:55:59 EDT 2008

Hi All,
my fault wrt to use of GNU GPL text. Everything is fine, see my comments below.

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Incubator list:
>>
>> I move that we recommend the GeoNetwork project to the OSGeo Board for
>> graduation, with Jeroen Ticheler acting as the project representative.
>>
>> The GeoNetwork project has been diligent in meeting incubation
>> requirements. I have been especially pleased to watch the project
>> steering committee form and start making decisions in public
>> (including the decision to apply for graduation at this time).
>>
>> The provenance review and incubation status links are here:
>> - http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoNetwork_Provenance_Review
>> - http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoNetwork_Incubation_Status
>>
>> Jody Garnett
>
> Hi,
> if this needs a second I am willing to give it. Very nice work, well
> prepared and from what I can see I have no objections to see GeoNetwork
> graduate aoon. But I have a few comments.
>
> == License ==
> There is a slight diff between the current GNU GPL and the text used in
> GeoNetwork (as listed here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoNetwork_Provenance_Review). In the latter
> case there is a reference to the website only whereas in the original a
> postal address is given.
> <original>
> You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
> Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA
> </original>
>
> <geonetwork>
> You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
> </geonetwork>

I mixed this up myself, too eager to find diff in wordings (it happens so often...) I compared the GeoNetwork version (which is V2) to GNU GPL V3 - and there they now use a link instead of the pastal address. The old one perfectly fine, so this q is answered.

Sorry for the confusion!

Arnulf.