[Incubator] Incubator Application: deegree

Dr. Markus Lupp lupp at lat-lon.de
Wed Jan 23 21:21:47 EST 2008

Hi Jody

Jody Garnett schrieb:
> Hi Markus, I agree that this is a great write up and it would make a
> good blog post/debate.
>
> One area I would like to ask for clarification on is this... Going
> through incubation is a fine time to take stock on how a project can
> collaborate better in the future, but I don't think incubation is the
> correct time to try and correct areas of duplication. I am much more
> interested in the basics; is the license open source, does the project
> have procedures in place for people to join and contribute and control
> the project, do we know what is in the code base etc...

Guess you can find some information about this in the incubation
application at: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/185 (the
questionnnaire ist attached to the trac ticket)
> I would not like to see a project hesitate to join OSGeo simply
> because they did not manage to collaborate with the first couple of
> projects through the gate; a better time to check would be:
> - when a project asks our advice about starting up
> - as part of a yearly report
>
> If we are going to promote cross project collaboration we may want to
> choose a different venue rather the incubation process.
I agree with you. Discussing this topic nonetheless was insightful for
me. I will meet Cameron in March in Perth I guess, so we could discuss
cooperation issues regarding community mapbuilder and deegree quite
easily there. Regarding GeoTools - last time we had a look at GeoAPI (as
Jody suggested) there were some very technical reservations from some
deegree developers against it. But I will check again. Hoping that
Jerome will become the incubation mentor for deegree, the road for
collaboration with GeoNetwork Open Source might also open quite naturally.

Cheers,

Markus

--
Dr. Markus Lupp