[Incubator] Motion: GRASS to Graduate Incubation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 24 12:39:42 EST 2008

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:
> Hello IncCom,
> after spending a lot other people's time and energy - especially Markus' -
> I cannot find any more reasons to further postpone the graduation of
> GRASS. Find all the details of the work in the Wiki and the logs to the
> code repositories linked from there. The developer community is
> outstanding in every respect (also in procrastinating tedious incubation
> issues...) and I am happy to finally be able to recommend GRASS for
> graduation.
>
> I motion that the Incubation Committee recommends GRASS to the OSGeo Board
> of Directors for graduation from incubation with Markus Neteler as project
> liaison officer.
>
> I expect the next board meeting to take place February 1st or 8th (it is
> not yet scheduled) and suggest that comments should come within one week
> so that we can potentially proceed with graduation festivities on February
> first.
>
> Please feel free to comment by email voting -1, -0, 0, +0, or +1.

Arnulf / Markus,

I've review various documents and two things come to mind as modest
issues.  The primary docs are:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GRASS_Incubation_Progress
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GRASS_Provenance_Review

The issues were:

1) I don't see any mention of OSGeo on the main GRASS page or the "About
GRASS" page.  I'd like some mention in one or both places of the projects
connection to OSGeo.

2) I looked at the code provenance review.  It seems clear that an
automated review of copyright headers took place but it isn't clear
to me how much manual review was done.  The provenance review has a long
list of directories which contain source but no indication if anything was
found, or if they were even reviewed.

That said, I did a spot check of quite a few files and I see no problems.
Headers seem fairly well maintained and I see no signs of outside code
incorporated that would need deeper review.

I vote +1 in favor of the motion for GRASS graduation.

Hopefully some followup on the two points could be given but my vote
is not conditional on that.